Saturday, March 3, 2012

Thermal Pond Dug

After a week and a few rain showers, I was hoping the ground would flatten out a bit.  It is still quite a mess!  I can see now that I have a lot of hand work ahead of me to get the ground level and the base stone laid and compacted before I can lay in the block and begin construction.  I like building with wood, but the site preparation is horrible!  Right now it's a slippery disaster and about 5 pounds of mud stick to each shoe.  I'm thinking of hiring a neighborhood kid to help with the shoveling.
You can see at the top that I have pre-dug for my thermal mass pond on the north end.  I only went down about 18 inches, but it should give me a few hundred more gallons.  My goal is an 800 gallon pond with catfish, heated in winter by a solar collector and a PV powered pump and aerator.  If I can help it, I won't be running electricity out to the greenhouse.  Long-term plans include a deep-cycle battery or two to keep the air pump going at night and to run a couple lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment