Saturday, August 25, 2012

Starting the pond

Also known as the thermal mass, my pond will be about 500 gallons (if I figured correctly) to help regulate temperature in both summer and winter.  It will be about 32" deep,10" above ground and 22" below, and is 5' wide by 9' long.  Most thermal greenhouse systems utilize black 55 gallon drums, a wall of milk jugs, or an above-ground tank with sheet metal walls.  The reasoning behind all three ideas is thin walls and tons of surface area for maximum heat transfer without taking up much growing space in the greenhouse.  I am using about a third of my square footage for the pond, but most growers aren't interested in hydroponics or aquaponics.  My pond will serve for both, plus I have plans to build an NFT system directly above the pond.  I do hope that the water will stay sufficiently warm in winter...

I scavenged the red stones and have been looking for a way to use them.  My yard will look nicer without the stones piled in the corner.  I plan to do 3 courses of blocks, then lay the liner, then a final course of block on top of the liner..

I have also run gutter completely around the greenhouse.  This will drain rain water into the pond.  More to come with that project!

No comments:

Post a Comment