Sunday, July 14, 2013

I hooked up an automatic watering system for the garden beds.

It's very primitive.  I just drilled some holes in some old hose and hooked it up to an 80 GPH pump.  I had a timer laying around so I set it to turn on twice a day for a few minutes.  It will be pumping out of the pond, so right now I am testing the sustainability of it.  The pump is definitely not pumping 80 GPH, but it can empty about 1/2gal per minute.  I think the plants would be happy with about 5 gallons per day, and I'm hoping that it will rain often enough to refill the pond every so often.   I also have my rain barrels as backup.  I would like it to at least last a week for when I go on vacation.  Will update.

I just emptied out the pepper box (they didn't do too well) and planted some more sweet potatoes.

This is a nice little timer.  I don't remember the brand, but it is all digital and has 8 different on and off settings per day.  I have used it for many years and it has never failed me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment