Saturday, January 25, 2014

Smokey BBQ indoors thanks to frozen tomatoes!

Do you remember how I cooked a bunch of tomatoes in my smoker last August?  I never really had much of a plan for what I would do with them. I figured they would be good in chili and tacos, but today it dawned on me that it would form a great base for juicy pulled pork in the Crock Pot!

There is no chance for outdoor BBQ with this horrible polar vortex ruining things in the Northeast.  My wood pile is buried and frozen into a block and I am in no mood to stomp back and forth in the driving snow to cook my pork all day.

Here's the recipe:

4 pounds pork butt cut into 2-inch cubes
1-2cups frozen diced tomatoes or puree
1 cup chopped fruit (apples, apricots, peaches, whatever)
2 Tbsp of your favorite BBQ seasoning or seasoning salt

Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.  Remove meat from cooker and shred, reserving fruit and 1-2 cups of juices, which you can use to make an excellent BBQ sauce, or just puree the fruit and return to pot with meat and enjoy over rice or on a bun or tortilla.



No comments:

Post a Comment