Tuesday, December 30, 2014

My 2015 Yuengling Lager Clone

Update March 6, 2015:  This is one of the best I have ever made, but not a Yuengling clone.  It's closer to Sam Adams.  Next time I'm going no pale and all vienna.

Last year's was a little heavy on the corn and light on the vienna.  I hit my target 1.054 and the aroma is pretty good.  Here you go!

Where I live we only drink one kind of lager.  You say the word lager and they know what to bring you.  Funny thing is there's a Sam Adams brewery about 10 min from my house, but we don't touch that stuff!

2015 Pennsylvania Lager Clone

13.5 gallon primary (fill two TrueBrew buckets to 2" from the top)
1.054 og

12 lb 2-row pale malt
6 lb 6-row pale malt
3 lb corn grits, cooked according to instructions on bag
2 lb vienna malt
2 lb briess special roast malt
l lb victory malt
1.5 oz cascade 60 min
1.5 oz cascade 10 min
1 oz crystal 5 min or at flame out
wyeast 2308 munich lager (make starter and/or split)

Decoction mash: 20 minutes at 133, 40 minutes at 144 and 60 minutes at 155
Batch sparge at 170: 3 batches over 1 hour achieved 70% efficiency.  You can probably do better than that!

60 minute boil.

Update 1/28:  After bottling, I can get a pretty good idea of where the flavor is going.  Again, needs WAY more Vienna malt.  Next year, I think I will cut out the two-row and use 14 lbs Vienna.  If you try this recipe, that is my recommendation.  Good luck!

Also, if you want to hit Yuengling exactly, omit the late hop additions.  Yuengling should have low to no hop flavor or aroma.  I like a little more than that.



No comments:

Post a Comment