Sunday, April 19, 2015

How I built my hops trellis

PThere has been some interest in my design for easy harvest.

After building the frame and sinking it in the ground with some concrete and cable anchors, I strung a stainless steel cable up and across the top.  This line is what I tie the vertical lines to. The top horizontal cable can be lowered to pull down the vines for harvest.

The cable is fished through an eye hook in each corner.

Then down the posts and attached with some creative hardware

Disposable poly lines run every 18 inches or so.  These get cut down every fall and cost about $3.00 total.

An eye loop in the cable to hold the poly lines, and stakes hold the lines in the ground.








1 comment:

  1. Me and my husband are both keen gardeners. We don't grow hops but we do have several "runners" in our garden and your method for using trellis seems really effective. I reckon that might work wonders with our runner beans. We have been using the old fashioned bamboo canes but have been considering using something more permanent for the future.

    Refugia Stein @ Container Domes

    ReplyDelete